Sharks overrun Titans after Proctor gets marched for biting

Embed from Getty Images
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks v Gold Coast Titans

A sensational send-off has changed the course of the game at Kogarah today, with Cronulla sailing home on a one-man advantage to win 30-18 over the Gold Coast.

Kevin Proctor was sensationally marched for biting Shaun Johnson 15 minutes into the second half, with the game in the balance at 12-all.

Proctor's dismissal, combined with injuries to Dale Copley and Jai Arrow was too much for the Titans to overcome and saw the Sharks storm home with a few quick tries to score a comfortable 12 point win.

The Titans started the game very strong, dominating field position and playing with more energy, which saw them score the first try in the fifth minute when Ash Taylor sent a brilliant long, flat ball which cut out 2 players to hit Corey Thompson sweetly on the chest and the winger strolled over for an easy try. Taylor then added the extras from out wide.

The Sharks started to get back into the game after the opening ten minutes and managed to level the scores in the 19th minute when Aaron Woods received an offload, passed nicely along to Wade Graham who then sent a good quick ball onto Josh Dugan who raced over to score out wide. Shaun Johnson then nailed a brilliant sideline conversion despite looking physically ill.

The Sharks crossed again just 3 minutes later when Johnson ran onto a nice ball, dummied to the left, skipped out of a low tackle by Kevin Proctor, drew AJ Brimson before dishing a nice short ball to Siosifa Talakai who waltzed over to score on the right side. Johnson again adds the extras with a superb conversion.

In the 35th minute Jai Arrow got crunched side on in a heavy tackle by Talakai. He eventually got back up and chose to take another run after which he left the field with a suspected AC injury to his shoulder.

Right on halftime Jarrod Wallace received a crash ball close to the Sharks line, busted through some sliding defenders and slammed the ball down for a bustling try to the left of the posts. Jamal Fogarty easily added the extras to level the scores at the break.

In the 55th minute, Shaun Johnson made a tackle on Kevin Proctor and as Proctor was on the ground, he was alleged to have bitten Johnson's arm. Referee Henry Perenara very swiftly sent off Proctor in a moment that turned this game.

From the next set, Johnson kicked to the left for his winger Sione Katoa, who performed a magnificent diving outstretched catch and landed in the Titans in-goal to score a brilliant try. Johnson again converted from the sideline.

Four minutes later, Wade Graham received a nice short ball from Blayke Brailey and despite almost being denied a try via a brilliant tackle by Fogarty, Graham rolled over and grounded the ball for a four pointer. Matt Moylan added the extras after Shaun Johnson came off the field prior with a niggle to his groin.

Just three minutes passed before the Sharks crossed again. This time Jack Williams perfectly executed a charge down, then chased through, regathered the ball, then got knocked over by Brimson. Williams got back to his feet after Brimson fell off the tackle almost immediately, and then raced 20 metres to score a great solo try. Moylan added the extras from wide on the left side.

The Titans looked set to stage a late rally when Keegan Hipgrave ran onto a short ball from Sam Lisone to score a strong try, which Taylor converted, but they were unable to trouble the scorers any further.

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 30 - Gold Coast Titans 18

Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium
Crowd: 0
Halftime Score: Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 12 Gold Coast Titans 12 Players of the Match:
3 points - Blayke Brailey
2 points - Shaun Johnson
1 points - Siosifa Talakai

Tries: Josh Dugan, Siosifa Talakai, Sione Katoa, Wade Graham, Jack Williams
Field Goals:
Conversions: Shaun Johnson (3/3), Matt Moylan (2/2)
Penalty Goals:

Tries: Corey Thompson, Jarrod Wallace, Keegan Hipgrave
Field Goals:
Conversions: Ashley Taylor (2/2), Jamal Fogarty (1/1)
Penalty Goals:

See how it happened in our Match Centre